Thursday, January 10, 2008

U.S. Monster Employment Index of December 2007

The US Monster Employment Index for December 2007 was released on January 03, 2008. The number, 169, came in as a surprise to me.

In my previous blog, I predicted "another dip for December", since we have been observing consistent Novermber-to-December decreases since the inception of the index. I was thinking something around 175 given the weakness of November. Though only a difference of 3.4 percent, I would not dismiss it as white noise.

This morning, Mr. Bernanke said that Fed "must remain exceptionally alert and flexible" and "In light of recent changes in the outlook for and the risks to growth, additional policy easing may be necessary". All of this is expected except when the rate cut and how deep it will be.

I am still thinking the same way as I logged in last month's blog that Mr. Bernanke has all he can muster to land the economy softly. In the Valley, a down turn may give the Web bubble a chance for reality check. It can be the silver lining that goes a long way.