Friday, February 15, 2008

CNN's I-Report

I just knew about CNN's I-Report recently. Oh, boy! Am I late!
http://www.cnn.com/exchange/

I-Report was launched in August, 2006 by CNN. It enables regular citizens to submit stories, photos and videos from where breaking news is. Understandably, CNN would not open up this citizen news portal totally free of CNN's point of view. In the Terms of Use section of I-Report, it includes the following,
"CNN has the right to edit and/or alter any submission. CNN reserves the right not to use the material you submit at all and/or as little of the material as it chooses."

Nevertheless, this is the power of Internet. A grass root news portal that breaks free from government control, or any rich and influential media, conglomerate, and individuals has the potential to dwarf any popular social networks. Well, that is at least theoretically possible, if the portal can break free from big advertisers, which can be rich and influential media, conglomerates, and individuals. Even CNN is not free from all that. For this, we have Wikipedia to look up to.

I would like to give my applause to CNN for its effort and bravery. And hopefully there will be more similar sites showing up for the community.