Monday, April 18, 2011

Second and third iPhone applications

My second and third iPhone/iPad applications are now on the App Store. They are Chinese calligraphy copybooks (字帖) using Chinese Surnames (百家姓) for model characters.
百家姓字帖-仿歐陽詢體
(http://itunes.apple.com/ph/app/chinese-surname-calligraphy/id427523658?mt=8) and
百家姓字帖-仿顏真卿體
(http://itunes.apple.com/ph/app/chinese-surname-calligraphy/id431207772?mt=8)

It was a fun project to work on. I reused the code from my first product and spent a little more time on the contents. It was a quick and easy job for this new product release. The aspect of "universal application", Apple's lingo for applications designed for both Apple iPhone and iPad, was what I was experimenting with. For an image-centric calligraphy model book, it seems to be a fit for a universal application. However, it is not that straightforward for other types of applications. For other product ideas that I have, it may make sense to put more user interface elements into the iPad branch. If I choose to go down that path, The "universal" application may become two applications that present different user experiences. I am not sure user experience bifurcation is a good idea. Maybe my thinking of putting more ingredients to a bigger screen is on a wrong track.

That aside, it was fun to design and create an application for two different types of devices. The visual impact from a bigger screen compared with that on a smaller screen is obvious. Supporting universal application may put more design constraints on a product. But I think it will be a basic requirement for many future applications from me.