Saturday, May 21, 2011

Monster US Employment Index April 2011

It just occurred to me that it is time to revisit Monster US Employment index to wrap up my experiment since early 2007.

According to US National Bureau of Economic Research (NBER), the last recession started from December 2007 and ended in June 2009. (http://www.nber.org/cycles.html) The recession lasted for 18 months and is having a slow recovery. The diagram based on Monster US Employment index seems to demonstrate something we all are aware now. But back in 2007 and early 2008, it hinted a recession that NBER did not announce until late 2008. This chart also echos another known fact, a slow recovery with job creation lagging the economy recovery.



I wanted to revisit Monster US Employment Index because of my last blog on LinkedIn. Usually, one single company's revenue is hardly any indication of US economy. However, LinkedIn's revenue source was so tightly related to employment and recruiting activities in US. It would be interesting to compare its revenue trend to US economy, like the way I used Monster's employment index. But no hurry. The indices from the first two years of Monster's publication were not that useful as Monster did not have enough market coverage and history. Give it another year, I'd like to compare LinkedIn's revenue growth alongside with Monster Employment Index. Maybe it will just give me a set of economic indices of my own.